Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

What does it mean when a dog has blood in its

What does it mean when a dog has blood in its urine
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Did he get into any rat/mouse poison?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No other symtons no other medical conditions did not come into contact with rat or mouse poison as far as I know
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Gary, there are many possible causes for bloody urine in a male dog. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Bladder stones, urethritis (inflammation of the urethra), prostate/kidney disease or an infection. To determine the exact underlying cause Buster will need a hands on examination, blood work, urinalysis and xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. As long as he is urinating this is not an emergency. But, if at any point he is unable to urinate that would be an emergency; it means that he has a stone blocking the outflow of urine and needs to be seen by a vet immediately to pass a urinary catheter. Otherwise, follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter