Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hello, My cat (2 year old) came home after being out all night

My cat (2 year old) came home after being out all night last night. She seemed in pain but ate well though when she moved she cryed out in pain. She slept well last night and when I came home tonight she ate her food and seemed a little sore still but generally much better. I have checked her stomach area for soreness and ribs etc but she seemed fine. she has just tried to use her litter tray and cried out in pain again just now.
What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Tobi's discomfort. I am glad to hear that she seems more comfortable today and that she is eating and drinking for you.

Was she able to successfully pass urine and/or stool when she was in her litter box even though she was uncomfortable?

With your description I would be concerned about back pain or a tail head injury.
This occurs when a cat falls and lands on his tailhead/back of the pelvis or the tail gets caught (by another animal or a car) and pulled hard enough that the caudal spinal cord is stretched. Sometimes the nerves are just stretched, but in some cases they break and when that happens the damage can be permanent. Cats may not show the full extent of their injury for several days as secondary inflammation and nerve death occur. Treatment is with steroids and rest.

The other possible causes, though less likely, of her condition are an intervertebral disc protrusion putting pressure on her spinal cord, a blood clot, granuloma (can be inflammatory or from a parasite encysting there) or mass/tumor within the spinal cord canal which places pressure on her spinal cord.

If she is unable to pass urine or stool she should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. But if she is able to eliminate normally I recommend that she be closely confined and then see her veterinarian tomorrow if she cannot be seen today.

They can examine her and prescribe antibiotics if a bite or scratch wound or infection is found, or they can prescribe anti-inflammatories if it appears this is a spinal cord or tailhead injury.

If testing at your veterinarian is nondiagnostic and her condition is worsening or not improving you may want to discuss further testing with your veterinarian as well as referral to a veterinary neurologist for an MRI.
Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.