Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

i have a duck and my dog got his beak and cracked it the duck

Customer Question

i have a duck and my dog got his beak and cracked it the duck is drinking but he dont seem to be eating his dried food what can i feed him while his beak his healing or is there other things i should be doing
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Crispie!!

Now as I am sure you can appreciate the extent of damage to his beak is going to dictate how his care should be approached. First, it is worth noting that his struggles to eat and appetite depression are likely related to the pain of this injury and the resulting instability in his beak (imagine having a broke tooth or bone in your mouth --it would certainly put us off our hard food as well). Furthermore, we do have to appreciate that some beak cracks will need veterinary intervention (ie sterile gluing, wiring, use of beak compositive casting material, amputation, +/- antibiotics to prevent infection, etc) to allow healing and recovery. Therefore, I must say that getting Crispie's avian vet involved would be highly advisable at this stage. They can assess his beak, intervene as necessary and dispense antibiotics and duck safe pain relief as required.

Otherwise, in regards XXXXX XXXXX question regarding feeding Crispie, we will need to take some steps to facilitate his eating. First, you can try offering his favorite foods. You can also get Nutrical paste to supplement his diet (either mixed in food, water, or via syringe) which will provide extra calories or nutrition. Offer fresh soft foods, high in nutrition and water content like cucumbers, Romaine, grapes, melon, oranges, etc. Hard boiled eggs mashed shell and all are extremely nutritious and delicious to birds. Cooked brown rice and cous cous are good for them too. You can even soak handweaning pellets (since they will be highly nutrient dense) or use organic fruit or veggie baby food to get food into him.

If he cannot even handle soft foods on his own, then we'd have to consider hand feeding him. To do so, consider handfeeding paste with handfeeding powder (ie Harrisons or Nupreen Hand Feeding Formula) mixed with an electrolyte solution or water. You can also handfeed cooked, mashed veggies/fruits (ie banana, sweet potato, etc) or again organic baby food. And just to note for severely affected birds, who cannot even be hand/syringe fed, then we do sometimes need to put in temporary feeding tubes to get them through this recovery period.

Overall, you do need to be aware that the exact nature of the crack will dictate how you can best approach this for Crispie. Therefore, having him at least initially assessed by his vet is highly advisable. Depending on their exam findings, they can advise you on what treatment may be required for the beak and provide you with antibiotics and pain relief for him. Further to that, it is a case of seeing if he can handle soft foods. But if he cannot then hand feeding or even a temporary feeding tube may be needed so that you can keep him nutritionally supported while he heals and recovers from this attack.

If you don't have a specialist avian vet, you can check where you can find one at near you at the RCVS Register (HERE), http://www.aav.org/search/, or Avian web (LINK).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )