Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Brodie, labradoodle, 6 years old, has been vomiting on and

Brodie, labradoodle, 6 years old, has been vomiting on and off for 2 days, has just eaten light meal of chicken and sick within 5 minutes, his stools are normal. he had short walk earlier and wanted to walk. He is a bit more clingy than usual. he has had seizures since he was a puppy but was violently sick Thursday and then had a seizure. We don't think he has eaten anything when out walking, he is not a scavanger. Any ideas please?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Brodie's intermittent vomiting for the last couple of days.
It would make sense that he had a seizure Thursday as seizures are often precipitated by stressful events or changes in blood electrolytes and minerals, both or which are sure to be possible given that he has been vomiting for a couple days.

Is he taking medication to try to control his seizures?
Was he diagnosed with epilepsy as the cause of his seizures?
If so has he had blood tests within the past few weeks to check his internal organ function and make sure that the medication he is taking is within appropriate blood levels?

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.
More serious causes of vomiting include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.
If he has been taking medications to control his seizures that can affect his internal organ function, especially his liver.

There are some things we can try at home, but if he doesn't respond then an examination, blood tests and in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications are indicated.

To try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours
These are acid reducers and may help him feel better and hopefully stop the vomiting.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only or give him ice cubes to lick. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 24 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into him. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then don't push it, he needs veterinary care.

But if things go well and he does eat and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.

If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.