Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

We have a west highland terrier. She is 13 years old. The last

We have a west highland terrier. She is 13 years old. The last few days she has some heavy slimy discharge from her back passage. Is this an indication of some form of cancer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Where exactly is the discharge coming from, vulva or rectum?
2- Is she spayed?
3- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Looks like from the rectum. She has not been spayed and it has been going on for about 2-3 days, but seems to be getting worse

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Does she have diarrhea?
2- Have you checked her butt area for any swelling?
3- Does the slime leak out while at rest?
4- Does it have a strong bad odor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just checked her again. The slime is coming out from her vulva. Sorry, and it is leaking when she is resting.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is she lethargic?
2- Is she drinking more than usual?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She does appear lethargic, however she is eating and drinking as normal. The gums seem pink

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
What you are describing is a concern because it is consistent with a "pyometra" which is an infection of the uterus. This is a surgical emergency, untreated it could be fatal. There could be other causes like vaginitis, urinary tract infections, cervical tumors, etc. But, at this point it is important to rule out a pyometra. A quick xray can determine if she has a pyometra or not. I would highly recommend you consider having her checked by ER vet and not wait. Holding on treatment can have fatal consequences, not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter