DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

My 8 week old puppy has started growling. Is this a sign

Customer Question

My 8 week old puppy has started growling. Is this a sign that he will have a bed temperament when he is adult
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 3 years ago.

YourPetVet :

Hello, Thanks for your question. No it does not mean that your dog will have a bad temperament. Puppies (like kids) like to test their limits and are going to do so constantly. When you dog is not behaving in a manner that is desirable you must step in and correct it right away

YourPetVet :

I like to deal with them directly by making eye contact and telling them no, or use of a kennel for "time out" time

JACUSTOMER-d3poy68d- :

you don't know what you are talking about bye

JACUSTOMER-d3poy68d- :

hi

YourPetVet :

I will opt out and another expert will assist you

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.
Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question
in continuation to your question.

Prolonged research has proven that "aggressive" behaviour in puppies is by no means any indication for the adult dog becoming aggressive .
What your puppy is currently displaying is a part of being playful and may at time be even a sign of fear or anxiety .

The best course of action would be positive reinforcement at times , point him towards the calm and more wanted activities by giving a treat if acts calmly and lovingly while no paying him attention when he does something you don't like , like tearing up the sofa and such (just take him away and point him at the right type of activity while giving him a treat - called conditional learning ) .

Animal behaviourist now say that telling off a young pupp does not help in any way - only positive reinforcements .

In any case , you have nothing to fear in regards to your pup's future behaviour , it's up to you now to mold him to the dog you want him to be by taking on the right type of activity such as puppy agility and socializing , later on you can train him as well , which will give him discipline and order which will help him as well establish his place in the group which is you and your family .

I wish you both all the best