Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have given my chihuahua 33kg instead of 3.3kg of metacam.

I have given my chihuahua 33kg instead of 3.3kg of metacam. I have no way of getting to the vets until tomorrow morning will my dog be ok
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you mean 33mg, correct?
2- How much does Coco weigh?
3- How long has it been since you gave her metacam?
4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The syringe says KG as it is based on the dogs weight which is 3.28kg.
I gave her Metacam about 30 minutes ago.
I don't think I have hydrogen peroxide as I don't know what it is
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- How much does she weigh?
2- Do you have a pharmacy (chemist) near bye?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Coco weighs 3.28kg

Yes we do have a chemist near to us
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Danielle, the dose for metacam (meloxicam) is 0.1mg/kg once a day. So, if you gave the dose for a 33kg dog that means she took 3.3mg. Which, based on her weight she took a toxic dose of 1mg/kg, at this dose we see gastrointestinal ulceration, doses above 2mg/kg we see renal failure. So, I don't think this will be systemically toxic but can cause ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract. This is what you can do until she is seen by your family veterinarian:

1- Stop the meloxicam.
2- She is a small dog so you will need your local pharmacist (chemist) to help you re-constitute a medication to protect her gastrointestinal tract. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 1-2mg/kg every 12 hours. Or, Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.5mg/kg every 12 hours. Keep her on either of these medications for the next 10 days.
3- Change her diet to a bland diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken (50%) for the next week.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter