Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

I have a 7 year old dog, who in the last 2 weeks has started

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old dog, who in the last 2 weeks has started to behave strangly. He doesn't settle, goes behind the curtains, has started to chew and scratch at the doors, pants a lot. Yesterday he was left for 2 hours, he'd pulled drapes down and got on a bed and rucked all the bedding up-something he's never done! I now can't leave him in the house by himself at all.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. I bet you are desperate, and it does sound like Max is too! Something has changed for Max in the past 2 weeks and we need to rule out an illness or physical change before we assume that it is a behavioral problem.

Dr. Barbara :

Has Max exhibited any of these symptoms? Itchiness and scratching or licking at any part of his body? Eating less or vomiting and diarrhea? Increased water consumption and/or urination? Limping or reluctance to get up from laying down? I'll be awaiting your reply. . .

JACUSTOMER-93mqs8fx- : He does sometimes, when he's lying down, suddenly jump up as though something's just scared him. He does also seem to be drinking more
JACUSTOMER-93mqs8fx- : He does sometimes, when lying down asleep suddenly jump up as though something's just scared him. I think he's also drinking more
Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your answer. He is exhibiting pretty typical signs of having fleas or flea allergy. . .the jumping up suddenly, the inability to settle, the hiding, panting, etc.

Dr. Barbara :

Do you see any fleas on him?

Dr. Barbara :

Increased water consumption alerts us to the possibility of diabetes, of urinary tract infection, of Cushing's disease and of kidney disease. These diseases can be discovered through a veterinary examination and blood and urine tests.

JACUSTOMER-93mqs8fx- : Hello again, he doesn't do it all the time, but last night, so I didn't have my doors chewed, I kept the bedroom door open and all he did was go around the bed constantly, didn't settle at all, until we had to put him in the garden.
Dr. Barbara :

I'm sure that Max's pacing and agitation is exhausting for you (and destructive)! If Max was older I'd add canine cognitive disorder (or dementia) to his list of possible ailments, but he is too young for this.

Dr. Barbara :

I'm most suspicious of flea infestation or other physical problem. Does Max receive a monthly flea preventative? If so, which one have you chosen?

JACUSTOMER-93mqs8fx- : Hello, we use Wilkinson's own brand of flea treatment. We'll have to take him to our vet tomorrow. My husband's at work, and
JACUSTOMER-93mqs8fx- : I'm unable to drive at the moment, but he looks like he's scared-the dog, not my husband! Please laugh!
Dr. Barbara :

I am laughing!!!! :D! I'll need a few minutes to look up the ingredients in Wilkinson's brand of flea treatment. Be back soon!

Dr. Barbara :

Phew!!!!!! Many ads about all sorts of flea treatment! Do you perhaps have the package for Wilkinson's, and could tell me what the active ingredient is??? Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-93mqs8fx- : Sorry, but I don't have a spare one at home.
Dr. Barbara :

Have you looked at Max's skin under his fur? Do you see any fleas running around, or do you see tiny black debris?