Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

Ive administered Frontline today on my miniature Yorkshire

I've administered Frontline today on my miniature Yorkshire Terrier as I noticed she had fleas. Since the treatment she has become very lethargic which is not her usual character. The last treatment she had was about 3 weeks ago which was a Bob Martin treatment. With her having fleas today, I assumed that the Bob Martin application must not now be working.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. Has Tia ever had Frontline before?

Customer:

Yes, but not for a couple of years.

Customer:

Are you still there as there is a note on screen that says 'Expert is offline'?

Dr. Barbara :

Yes, I'm here. I was just looking up Bob Martin to make sure that it is Fipronil. . .just like Frontline. I know that it is safe to use Frontline 3 weeks apart as needed. I

Dr. Barbara :

ooooops. . .I need to go back to the Bob Martin site to see how much fipronil is in their product. Was Tia OK when you first applied this?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. Barbara :

Well. . .I can't find the amount of fipronil. . .do you by any chance have the package there? Did the Frontline you applied contain only fipronil, or did it contain another product?....what is the full name of what you applied?

Customer:

My apologies, it wasn't a Bod Martin product. The name of the product was 'beaphar' Dog Flea and Tick Drops, which contained: 742mg of Permethrin 25.75 Cis:Trans in a 1ml solution.

Customer:

The Frontline - spot on dog contains 67 mg fipronil per pipette.

Dr. Barbara :

As you are looking that up, I'll say that neither Frontline or Bob Martin's Fleaclear prevent fleas from jumping on our pets, but does kill the fleas right away once they jump on the dog. Oh. . .that explains why you were seeing fleas again. . .permethrin doesn't have lasting flea killing properties.

Dr. Barbara :

I doubt then that Tia is reacting to the fipronil if she has had it before without problems. Let me just double check in my drug reference about any interaction between fipronil and permethrin. ..I doubt this is a problem, but I will double check!

Customer:

Dr. Barbara :

Took awhile! Fipronil and permethrin are sold as Effitix, so they don't interact negatively. Permethrin is for quick kill, and fipronil is for long lasting kill, but as I said does not prevent fleas from jumping on a dog.

Dr. Barbara :

In your own home and yard if Tia is the only animal, then gradually all fleas would be killed by jumping on her. So your home and yard flea population would decrease over time. But. . .if Tia goes out of your yard and into flea infested areas, then those fleas will jump on her but will be killed ultimately. Does this just confuse things, or am I making any sense?

Dr. Barbara :

BotXXXXX XXXXXne here though is that Tia is no more sensitive to this Frontline dose than she was in the past. The Permethrin you applied 3 weeks ago won't combine with the Frontline to be toxic.

Customer:

So, just to be clear, you don't think I've overdosed Tia with these two different flea treatments and the fact that she is very quiet and lethargic is just coincidental.

Dr. Barbara :

Yes.

Dr. Barbara :

Has Tia been eating OK today? Does she have any other symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer:

No problem with vomiting or diarrhoea, but she doesn't have any appetite.

Dr. Barbara :

How long has it been since she's eaten?

Customer:

Since lunch time when my neighbour fed her a slice of corned beef.

Customer:

PS A small slice.

Dr. Barbara :

So no dinner? Let's see. . .it's about 10:30 PM for you. When did you actually apply the Frontline? I ask, because there is always a possibility of an individual dog having a negative reaction. Also, it could be coincidental, as you said.

Customer:

She didn't eat any breakfast. I applied the Frontline about 12.30pm and my neighbour fed her the small slice of corned beef just after that.

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks. . .so she really wasn't feeling normal before you applied the Frontline. I now am very certain that the Frontline had nothing to do with her feeling lethargic and not hungry. To make sure this is not of an emergency nature I'd like to know if her gums are of normal pink color, and if you push on the gums the color returns in 3 seconds or less. Also, would like to know if she is breathing normally. Thanks,

Customer:

Hi, her gums and her breathing seem okay.

Dr. Barbara :

Great! And. . .is she able to walk OK?

Customer:

Yes, but

Customer:

she

Customer:

doesn't want to walk. She just makes for her bed every time.

Dr. Barbara :

But she can walk back to her bed. . .at that is good. She seems stable for tonight then. Perhaps a little aspirin tonight would halp her to feel better. Do you know what she weighs?

Customer:

Yes, they weighed her in the pet shop in order to ascertain which Frontline she needed. Her weight is 3.2kg.

Dr. Barbara :

Cute! Her aspirin dose would be about 35 mg or a little less than 1/2 of a low dose aspirin (or baby aspirin). Do you have some of that?

Customer:

Unfortunately, I don't have any asprin in the house.

Dr. Barbara :

Well, if she's sleeping OK, then she should be comfortable until morning. If she is still feeling punk or worsens, then I'd get her to her vet there. Hope you both have a peaceful night. I'll check in tomorrow. . .I'm in California.

Hi Karen,
Just checking in on Tia. . .how is she feeling by now? Did she end up needing to see your vet there?
Hope things are fine now and I look forward to hearing from you,
Dr. Barbara