Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our 8m old vizsla developed a red eye on the right and has

Our 8m old vizsla developed a red eye on the right and has vomited 7x this evening. There are bits of rubber from ball in her vomit. We are trying to give water. Feeling her tummy seems non tender. She has had 2 normal poos an 1 slightly looser this eve. Do you have any advice? Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since the last time she vomited?
2- How much does she weigh?
3- Is she lethargic?
4- How long has her eye been red? Any swelling?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. About 15 mins ago
2.22kg
3. Yes
4. Few hours , now left eye looking a bit red
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Ian, her eyes becoming red is most likely secondary to the effort of vomiting. If you are seeing rubber in the vomit, then it is fair to say this is the most probable cause. The other concern is that she could have more pieces in her gastrointestinal tract. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do until she is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest so that when you do offer water she is able to absorb the fluid.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter