YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in general practice, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

Morning, My cat is 2 years old; she had blood in her

Morning,

My cat is 2 years old; she had blood in her urine so I took her to vet immediately. He only looked at her, checked her belly and said it is most likely a cystitis and prescribed antibiotics for 5 days. Said as it is a first time, it must be caused by some bacteria.
We finished antibiotics, than she was fine for 3-4 days, and blood appeared again. Took her to vet again, he changed antibiotics, now we had to take them for 10 days. Finished them, cat looked fine for 3-4 more days; then i came back from work to find her so weak she couldn't stand on her feet. Took to vet immediately, he said she has a pain in her tummy as screaming when he touches it. Gave painkillers and antibiotics vaccines and asked to bring her in the morning for tests. Cat got weaker over night, she wanted to drink but only took few sips as was too week. Over the day they done urine test - there is no visible blood in urine, but it is still there they can see it. Done Xray; no kidney stones, all other looked fine. Took blood for test, sent it to lab and we had to wait another 24 hours for results. Results show problems with liver, low platelets. He said next step is FIV/FLV test, lab doing those today - another 24 hours waiting for results.
Vet let us home Tuesday 25th Mar, with more antibiotics. Said we should continue giving them. Cat looks week, in last 3 weeks lost half a kg weight (from 4.9 kg to 4.4; breed -bengal cat). She wants to move, wants to walk, but after 10-15 mins walking she lays down tired. She is eating, but not as much as usual, she is drinking, no blood in her pee. But she is week.

I am not saying our vet is doing something wrong, but i am looking for second opinion. can you please let me know re below:
1. My concern is that she is 3rd time on antibiotics over the last 3-4 weeks; should we continue as vet advised? how should I look after her?
2. is it normal that tests take so long? 3 days we are waiting now, last blood FIV results should be this afternoon.
3. If FIV comes negative, vet said next steps there will be expensive tests... What are they? What would you recommend?

I would really appreciate your opinion on the situation.

Expert:  YourPetVet replied 3 years ago.

YourPetVet :

Hello, thanks for your question. Do you know which antibiotics your vet used? I ask because some antibiotics could cause adverse reactions that cause the symptoms you are describing in your question. Did you vet give any injectable antibiotics?

YourPetVet :

It is OK to be on antibiotics for extended periods of time (unless having a reaction to them) Look after her as you have so far as there is not much you can do in terms of medicine. You could try heating the cat food to entice her to eat.

YourPetVet :

It can take time for tests to come back depending on where there are sent and what they are of. The more specialized the test the longer it takes

YourPetVet :

The next steps may be cultures and or biopsies. Not sure what direction they want to take this in but if you need more explanations as you work through this with your vet then you can still contact me through this exchange

YourPetVet :

Give me a minute to get a recommendation together. want to review your question again

YourPetVet :

I recommend that you call your vet to see if the tests have come in yet. I would also discuss with your vet doing further diagnostics like ultrasound of the bladder, liver and kidneys, possible blood culture for resistant infection and to address this weakness issue with nutritional supplements, high calorie foods or even the possibility of a feeding tube if necessary.

Customer:

Customer:

Thank you for your reply.

Customer:

i dont have antibiotics names on hand; only one I have is from 3rd consultation was 0.5 ml Betamox LA and 0.3x Vetergesic Multidose

Customer:

I have blood test results copy in my hands now, upset my vet couldn't spare few minutes explain it. In summary it says: ATL likely reflects hepatic disease and advises that further investigation recomended (eg. ultrasound). Also there is evidence of trombocytopenia which may account for hematuria. Also: there is an inflamatory leukogram and advises further investigation needed to establish site of inflammation. Also: monitoring of biochemistry and hematology are advised. You May wish to submit citrate sample for a coagulation profile.

Customer:

Are you able to comment on blood test results? Any suggestions? Also, FIV and FeLV came back negative

YourPetVet :

This sounds somewhat like a toxicity. Do you have any house plants your cat likes to chew on? Or house plants at all? Does he spend time outside?

YourPetVet :

is there a value called T bili or total bilirubin?

Customer:

total bilirubin: 7 umol/L (0 -15)

Customer:

she doesn't eat any of my plants at home, but I let her outside (not alone and just for aprox 20 mins) where she sometimes eats the grass in back garden

YourPetVet :

just checking because of the blood in the urine and low platelets. It could be auto immune disease that the suggested clotting time test could help diagnose. That would explain the weakness and lethargy. This is usually treated with steroids. And it can be a transient disease meaning that you cat may get over it and not need steroids forever

Customer:

highlited results:total protein 59 g/L Low; ATL 1588 IU/L High; Lactate Dehydrogenase 7320iu/L High; Bile Acid5.6 umol/L High; AST 769 IU/L high; CK 41440 IU/L High (obtained using 1/100 dilution); Glucose 7.6 mmol/L High; white cell count 27 10^6/ml High; neutrophilis 86% 32.22 10^6/ml high; monocytes4% 1.1 10^6/ml high; platelets 70 10^6/ml Low. numerous large platelets present (these are above the electronic threshold for counting platelets). blood smear indicates a REDUCED platelet count. neutrophilia with mature neutrophilis. mild monocystosis.

Customer:

any good/bad news on these results?

YourPetVet :

That is quite a high white blood cell count and CK value. I go back to recommendation of a blood culture and ultrasound of liver for possible liver abscess or other internal infection

Customer:

Is that possible to treat? Do you think it is hard to treat/painful to treat? Your personal opinion on what you see on blood test results?

Customer:

I am so scared about my cat; afraid the vet took too long to start tests ash she looks so bad to me now

YourPetVet :

The blood test tells me that there is an increase in the white blood cells to the point of some type of infection, strong auto immune reaction or some cancers, along with this is a thrombocytopenia that could come from the same causes. Along with that is an increase in the liver values that is an indication that this is the area where the infection or reaction may be occurring. So from here I would explore the involvement of the liver through ultrasound that may identify an abscess that would need surgery to treat. and do a blood culture for resistance of the already used antibiotics

YourPetVet :

I recommend that you have your cat to the vet and discuss treatment options from testing to hospital care. you can even maintain a feeding tube at home if necessary after your vet puts on in

Customer:

thank you very much; cat is booked to see another vet in next 2 hours; I am also taking all results including xray hoping new vet will be more helpful and provide all information I need, not like current vet referring to biopsy without explanation why he came to this decision. I am very happy with your reply and value your opinion and help today. Thank you!

YourPetVet :

your welcome! All the best! Cheers!