Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi my 3 year old cat blue has pf And our local vet is not

Customer Question

Hi my 3 year old cat blue has pf
And our local vet is not helping us we seem to be doing the work for her
What is the best medication to use ?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. Your question came in at a time when few vets were available. Please clarify what "pf" abbreviates. I assume it's pemphigus foliaceus but there are over 100 medical "pf" abbreviations.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it's pemphigus foliaceus
Thank you. The prognosis for this disease is quite good. The treatment regimens most often employed are daily prednisolone (4-5mg/kg), alone or in combination with chlorambucil (0.1-0.2mg/kg daily initially, then every 2 days), and daily triamcinolone (0.6-2mg/kg) alone which appears to be the most effective glucocorticoid with a lower incidence of side effects in cats.

For maintenance, triamcinolone is used at 0.6-1mg/kg every 2-7 days, or prednisone at 2.5-5mg/kg every 2 or 3 days. In our studies of 44 cases only 4 cats died from their disease or treatment-related causes. The most common treatment-related side effect in cats is the development of diabetes mellitus in cats that require high doses of corticosteroids such as prednisolone, prednisone, and triamcinolone.

For completeness sake, cyclosporine at 7.5mg/kg, alone or in combination with prednisolone at the above doses, has been effective in treating some cats. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will ask her to start him on that how soon will it start working ?
He is on atopica at the moment and veraflox ear drops and he has a steroid injection
Atopica is cyclosporin. Just check that the dose is 7.5mg/kg daily. Rather than the steroid injection, triamcinolone orally at 0.6-2mg/kg initially and then tapered to a maintenance dose is recommended for better control of the pemphigus as well as better control of dosing. You should see a positive response within days of such a therapy.