YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in general practice, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

My dog has just been for an extremely long walk (20 miles)

Customer Question

My dog has just been for an extremely long walk (20 miles) She has just got back home and she is extremely restless, unable to settle, and seems distressed, she has no injuries at all.
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 3 years ago.

YourPetVet :

Hello, thanks for your question. Some dogs may experience muscle pain with the tail and hip muscles for rigorous activity or very long walks. This is commonly called swimmers tail. You can give buffered or enteric coated aspirin at mg/kg every 12 hours

YourPetVet :

Sorry the dose is 10mg/kg

JACUSTOMER-o8304eqw- :

Is that the same aspirin you would give to humans? how is it best to give this?

YourPetVet :

Yes the same. You may put it into something like a piece of cheese or peanut butter and have her eat it

JACUSTOMER-o8304eqw- :

She appears to have settled down a bit now. Do u think this is serious enough (or could be serious enough) to call the emergency vet tonight? Or would you recommend taking her to see a vet in the morning and leaving her tonight?

YourPetVet :

If she continues to be restless and cannot sleep then see emergency. But if she can get comfortable but in the next day or so she seems sore in her tail or hind legs then see your regular vet