Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog as a small lump up is nose,and it keeps tuning and as

My dog as a small lump up is nose,and it keeps tuning and as green snot,the lump looks rather sore.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Woody's green nasal discharge and the small lump in his nose.
Is this discharge from one nostril or both?
How is he feeling otherwise? Any fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F) or lethargy?

Dogs rarely get viral infections (like colds) unless they are exposed to many other dogs such as at a grooming parlor or boarding kennel and then the nasal discharge tends to be clear and coming from both nostrils.

A colored nasal discharge does indicate that he has a bacterial or fungal infection but that may not be the whole problem. These are often secondary to other disease processes. Because he responded to the antibiotic part of this is related to a bacterial infection, but because it keeps coming back once he is off antibiotics then there is likely an underlying cause.

More commonly we see nasal inflammation and a green or yellow discharge secondary to dental disease (as some of the tooth roots end up near the nasal cavity). If he has a bad tooth, periodontal disease or gum disease this is possible.

Other possibilities are accidentally inhaling foreign bodies such as grass awns or even grass blades or pine needles, a nasal polyp or a fungal infection. A tumor at his age unfortunately would be possible as well.

There isn't much that you can do at home to treat the primary problem but you can keep him more comfortable until his veterinarian can take radiographs and get cultures as well as a biopsy to look for the primary problem. As long as he is still eating and drinking normally this is not an emergency but if this is a tumor the sooner that it is dealt with the better.

You can run a humidifier or bring him into the bathroom with you when you run a hot shower or bath. The steam thins the mucous and soothes his airways so he can breathe more easily.

You can also gently flush out his nose with sterile saline to remove as much mucous as possible which will help him breathe better.

If the mucous discharge from his nose is irritating his nose and making it raw you can remove as much as possible, pat dry and apply vitamin E or Neosporin ointment to his nose to protect it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.