Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

Male Syrian hamster

Customer Question

Hi, my 2 year old hamster hasn't been himself this past week. He is sleeping a lot, he is very unsteady on his feet and keeps falling over. He also gets very tierd after a short time and just lays down. He also makes a clicking noise when he breaths. He was very poorly the other night, very cold be sleepy and even slept in my hands. His breathing very rapid and heavy and clicking a lot louder. He has improved since then, his breathing is a lot better, clicking a lot less and he doesn't feel cold to touch anymore. He has changed where he sleeps and set up a new bed that is hard for us to get to him. He did get up yesterday and his left eye was stuck together, we put luke warm water on and seems to be ok now. He is still eating abit and drinking and grooming as usual. It is just the sleeping, clumsy ness and falling over that is the worry now. We can't go to the vet as we live in Saudi Arabia and are about 3 hours away from nearest city. Jeddah, and unsure if they will even treat small animals. We are been feeding him scrambled egg which he enjoys and have altered his cage so everything is 1 level to avoid him falling off anything. Any advice would be great. Thank you Claire.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. It does sound like Maurice has/had a respiratory tract infection and is getting some better. Your nursing choices and skills for him are very correct, and I can make just a couple of suggestions. If you normally feed him hamster pellets, it would be good to encourage these as they have fiber that is good for his teeth and his gut. You may need to soak these in water. Secondly, it would be great to get him on systemic as well as eye antibiotics. Are you able to buy these over the counter there in drug stores?