Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

Hi my cat Coco needed to be dematted at the vet and they gave

Customer Question

Hi my cat Coco needed to be dematted at the vet and they gave her a sedative. However after she came round she had extremely large pupils, I was twitching and behaving very erratically for two days. I took her back to the vet who stated that she had developed neurological twitching as a result of the sedative and that this was common in white cats. However Coco is not a pure white cat,she is a silver chinchilla persian. The vet gave me steroids to give to her for two weeks, and whilst she no longer twitches and her eyes are back to normal she does appear very quiet.
I am concerned as a) she needs her teeth cleaned which will mean a general anaesthetic - how will she cope with that if a sedative caused such a bad reaction. And b) she needs a dematt every year as she resists being brushed and her coat gets very long. She has had two dematts before and has been fine but woozy after. I am not sure I trust my vet after this incident and would like an other opinion on what happened.

Mohini
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi Mohini, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'll do my best to help you and Coco. In my experience Coco's reaction to the sedative can occasionally happen, but I don't know that it is common in white cats. I'm very glad to hear that Coco's twitching has stopped, but understand your concern because she is now quiet and she does also have future procedures that will require a general anesthesia for her dental and sedatives for dematting.

Dr. Barbara :

Perhaps this time Coco received a different sedative? There are several different sedatives that can be used, so I would definitely find out which she had this time and have her record clearly flagged that she had a reaction and in the future needs a different sedative.

Dr. Barbara :

Before Coco's dental procedure (or maybe even sooner if she is not perking up) she should have a blood profile and a thorough exam to make sure the anesthesia and dental safe for her. I almost always also place an IV catheter for fluid treatment during anesthesia. This will keep her well hydrated and helps the body to eliminate the anesthesia quickly after the procedure.

Dr. Barbara :

Of course I would also avoid having the same sedative given.