Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 8 year old lab has swallowed a wooden lollipop stick what

My 8 year old lab has swallowed a wooden lollipop stick what should I do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long ago did George ingest this?

Did he chew it or swallow it whole?

Do you think it has any sharp edges?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

approx 10 hrs he swallowed it whole there were no sharp edges each end is rounded he has eaten his

breakfast this morning and seems his usual self

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Mary,

If he ate the stick 10 hours ago, then we will be limited with what we can do at this stage and would be in the monitoring phase with George. That said, It does sound like the best case scenario if it was not a sharp item and he is doing well so far.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX you can do to just try and keep the stick moving through his GI safely, you can consider increasing his fiber intake and consider the use of GI lubricants. The fiber will help push the stick through while creating a bulk of material around it (so it doesn't bother the GI tissue) and the lubricants can just aid it slipping through the GIT without getting stuck. In regards XXXXX XXXXX sources, you can consider adding tinned pumpkin, cooked veggies (ie carrots, broccoli, cauliflower - no onions, garlic, grapes or raisins since they are all toxic), or a fiber supplement (example). For lubricating the GI, you can use cat hairball treatment, lactulose, or liquid paraffin from the chemist. These can cause a bit of self-limiting loose feces but will help that stick slip along as well. Just to make life easy on the GI while passing this, I would tell to advise small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days while we are waiting for it to pass.

Furthermore, while providing supportive care, we do of course need to keep a close eye out for adverse signs. If we see any, then we'd want to see his vet immediately. Signs to watch out for will include any vomiting, diarrhea (that isn't caused by giving a GI lubricant), appetite loss, belly pain, excessive panting, paling gums, blood in vomit/feces, straining to pass feces, or a darkening of him feces (especially black since that is a sign of upper GI bleeding). If we see any of these signs, then that would be a cue to get him to the vet immediately for an examination +/- xray.

Overall, it sounds like George's lollipop stick is already quite well into its adventure in his GI and so far it has not caused any trouble. So, at this stage, it is a case of keeping a close eye on him and supporting the GI passing this stick. Hopefully, we will see it out the other end in the next 12-24 hours, but if we see any of those worrying signs then we'd want him checked urgently to make sure the stick isn't causing any harm.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon!