Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 10 month old kitten who seems to have been stung by

Customer Question

I have a 10 month old kitten who seems to have been stung by a wasp, he is generally fine in himself, is still quite playful and only every now and again he stops to lick and bite it. We cannot afford to see the vet today (im taking him on Monday), are there any home treatments I can give him for now at all?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
If Tiggs has remained well in spite of being stung, anaphylaxis - the most dangerous of the allergic reactions - won't occur at this late date. A less serious type III hypersensitivity reaction can appear, however, as evidenced by swelling about the sting, fever, and general discomfort and can be treated with an over the counter anithistamine containing chlorpheniramine (2mg/cat) or diphenhydramine (2mg/kg). Please let me know which antihistamine you might have at home.

"Watchful waiting" is entirely appropriate at this time as well. Tiggs is still fine in himself and playing normally and is likely to continue being and doing so. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, Tiggs is slowly improving at the moment. He doesn't seem to be having any trouble jumping or landing off of high places and isn't bothered about me touching his paw. He seems to slowly be on the mend so im going to leave any treatments for another couple of hours. I'll let you know of any changes if they arise.

Many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Thank you for the update. Your approach sounds good to me.

I'll speak to you soon.

You're quite welcome.
May I have an update on Tiggs, please?