Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

my 16 year old female cat appears to be having problems weeing.

Customer Question

my 16 year old female cat appears to be having problems weeing. she is an indoor cat and is using the litter tray alot but only a very tiny amount in the tray each time.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Scooter has a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). These signs of many trips to the litter box with little coming out are very typical for this. This infection in females and males makes them feel like they have to go all the time even if they have no urine in their bladder. This will require antibiotics. For now, go to the pet store and purchase a product called Methigel. Give Scooter a dose of this on her nose every 4 hrs. This is a urinary acidifier that causes the urine to be in an acid state so the bacteria cannot grow. This will not cure this but will prevent further bacterial growth until you can get her to your vet.

Take Scooter to your vet as soon as possible. Failure to treat this can cause crystals that could block the urinary tract and cause a life threatening condition. Also, because of her age, I would also worry about bladder cancer or other urinary issues.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Pauline, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Scooter feels better soon.

Have a wonderful day!