Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have copied and pasted the question below which was posted

Customer Question

I have copied and pasted the question below which was posted 2 years ago as it is identical to my dog. the answer given was not very helpful. if you are a horse vet they look like Danilon granules but he has not eaten any!
my dog has bright yellow round seed-like things in his stool. This started yesterday with a softer stool, but still formed. I thought it was just his food. Today he went at his normal time and his stool was formed but soft and then became loose as he pooped with the final dropping being a little mucasy It is a reddish brown (does not look like blood) with bright yellow things that look like seeds. The seed-like item is round and is much smaller than a grain of rice. They look almost like bright yellow (more like a neon yellow) poppy seeds but a bit smaller. He is eating normally, usually has chicken and rice with a small amount of beneful dog food mixed in (about a 1/2 cup) Any ideas what this could be???
my dog is a 5 year old westie. he is his normal self. keen to eat, not drinking to excess. but poo has been bad for about 2 weeks now despit going on chicken and white rice. now on white fish poached in water and oats.
can you diagnose??
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Upon analysis, we've found that those "seed-like" bodies represent non-digestible or poorly digestible (insoluble) fiber that may or may not have undergone fermentation. The fiber usually originates from the grain present in the diet although some manufacturers have added inorganic fiber as a filler for their weight control diets. Nando's minor softening of his stool and mucus is likely to be accompanied by hypermotility. A quicker transit time would predispose to less complete digestion and absorption in his GI tract and so the fiber would be more apparent in his movements.

A transient change as you've described doesn't dictate a vet visit in the otherwise normal dog unless his symptoms persisted for more than a few days or, indeed, worsened. The usual causes of simple GI distress are a dietary indiscretion - eating something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or perhaps a non-food item and this is expected to remiss unaided within 72 hours.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, so should i continue with white fish poached in water and oats? caught the little sod eating other dogs poo today (not his usual behaviour but he was licking up cow slurry the other day) and hes eating grass( was sick 2 days ago is there anything else he would benefit from? o)

I don't believe that it's necessary for the diet change but it shouldn't be harmful although I prefer to change diets gradually in order to avoid gastrointestinal distress. His pica (eating non-food items - particularly non-digestible greens) indicates gastrointestinal distress (among many other disorders) and so administering an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (as present in Pepcidtwo) at a dose of 2.5-5mg of the famotidine in that product should afford the little sod some comfort. You can repeat dosing at 12 hour intervals.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

May I have an update on Nanco, please?