DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

Whenever my dog is out for a walk and she sees other dogs she

Customer Question

Whenever my dog is out for a walk and she sees other dogs she gets overcome with excitement and foams really bad all over the other dog or the dog owner is there anything I can do to stop this behaviour? She's 16 month old and really friendly but can oot control her excitement she gets walked everyday black Labrador. Will neutering help her ?
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Labradors are known as happy dogs in most cases and are easy excitable in a young age .

DR.J :

Her reflex of foaming comes as a result of her excitement (Some dogs foam , some wee and others can even get aggressive while actually trying to be friendly since their are so overwhelmed with joy that their body can not deal with the surge of Adrenaline and other substances which affect the nervous system)

DR.J :

Is it possible Bella is having a season currently and is coming in contact with entire males ? (this could cause her to get very excited as well)

DR.J :

In answer to your question - spaying her will not change her natural excitement to see other dogs .

DR.J :

But training might help her restrain herself better when getting in contact with other dogs as well as age will do it's part as she gets older she will becalm calmer .

DR.J :

I would not suggest and drugs to treat this natural behavior !

DR.J :

I hope this helps

DR.J :

I you have any questions please let me know .

DR.J :

all the best

DR.J :

James

DR.J :

Please do not forget to rate this conversation

DR.J :

hi again. I wanted to know what have you decided about Bella