Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my cat is sneezing bad and his eyes are very red

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Storm. In the great majority of cases, these cats are suffering from the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) but, thankfully, most cats will remiss unaided within 7-14 days. If I don't see improvement within the first ten days, however, I'll prescribe doxycycline - an antibiotic with good efficacy against secondary bacterial invaders such as Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma. In the rare case in which my patient doesn't improve in spite of the tincture of time and antibiotic therapy, I'll prescribe a 3 week course of famcyclovir - an antivral drug with good efficacy against FHV-1.

FHV-1 is quite contagious and so if you have other cats at home, you may see similar symptoms of sneezing, conjunctivitis, and perhaps coughing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.