Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a cockatiel which is not well...can you help ? He has

I have a cockatiel which is not well...can you help ? He has his head tilted to one side most of the time and has trouble walking in a straight line. He also appears quite tired and lethargic and also loses his balance occasionally.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What you are describing is indeed vertigo! This is due to the nerve being irritated that deals with balance. This irritation can be due to stroke, trauma, virus, bacteria, or no obvious reason. Dizzy birds tilt their head like you are seeing (called torticollis) and have trouble with their balance. What you need to do right now is to take all the perches out of the cage and put a thick towel and even cloth nest in the bottom of the cage. Bring the food and water down to him as well. Have him seen by the vet in the morning to check for an ear infection. If there is one it can be treated, if not then usually time will pass and as long as he's eating this usually resolves on it's own.

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan