Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a 2 year old lhasa apso. When she walks her back leg

I have a 2 year old lhasa apso. When she walks her back leg joint turns outwards and it also happens when she stands still. Its as if she is very unsteady on it when standing still. She does grumble sometimes when its touched even just stroking her along the leg and around her tail area. Any ideas? I have got her booked in to see our vet next week.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Maisie.
For her breed and based on your description I would be considering a possible medial patellar luxation. That's a fancy term for a knee cap that can pop in and out of place causing some difficulties with a hind leg. Some dogs, also due to development issues that occurred, can develop angular limb deformities, causing the leg to bow to some degree as well.

So, the key will first be a thorough examination testing range of motion of the hind legs and definitely feeling for any popping knee cap.

The vet may also suggest a short course with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, just to see if it has a impact on her comfort level.

Scratching around the tail area can sometimes be sensitive for other reasons, so can't really pinpoint that to a musculoskeletal issue.
If enough pressure is applied when scratching above the tail base, it could cause some discomfort in the lower spine, so make sure to mention this issue as well to the vet.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy