Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 1 year old miniature schnauzer has just swallowed a 200mg

My 1 year old miniature schnauzer has just swallowed a 200mg caplet of Ibuprofen which fell on the floor What should I do? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does Alfie weigh?
2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
3- How long has it been since he swallowed the pill?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
8 kilos
No hydrogen peroxide

15 minutes
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Susan, based on his weight he took a dose of 25mg for every kilogram body weight of ibuprofen, at this dose in dogs we can see gastrointestinal ulceration, abdominal pain, anorexia, vomiting, etc. The good news is that it will not be a fatal dose or systemically toxic. This is what you can do:
1- Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for 7-10 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol (bismuth).
3- Change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken (50%) for a few days then wean into regular diet.
4- If during the next few days he becomes lethargic, anorexic, vomiting, etc. have him checked by family veterinarian, otherwise continue with the above recommendations.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter