Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cat has developed a really bad habit of scratching her head

My cat has developed a really bad habit of scratching her head with her fore feet to the extent I can see bruising on the tips of her ears(as the tips are normally white) and she frequently has a sore eye, not always the same one, but it goes away within 20 minutes or so, and along with this her ankle areas are becoming devoid of hair, I'm getting a bit worried about it. I have recently started going to the university a lot more than normal for dissertation purposes, and was wondering if this was something to do with this behaviour?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

This is not an uncommon problem in cats unfortunately. Cats can have allergic reactions like this to either their food or their environment. This can cause their skin to be itchy and cause them to remove their hair on parts of their body or scratch until they cause damage like the ear tips. Since she is damaging herself she may be a candidate for treatment. Treatment can include changing to a prescription hypoallergenic diet like D/D or Z/D or begin medication treatment with prednisone or Atopica. I would recommend using cortisone cream on her ears if she's itching her ears this much and then see the vet when you have the ability in the middle of your dissertation. They can help gauge the severity and determine the appropriate level treatment.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan