Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

how much should i feed my cat daily, she is ten month old and

how much should i feed my cat daily, she is ten month old and is a very active cat. We give her dry food 50 grams.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me ... what is her body mass like at present, overweight, underweight ?

Customer:

normal but dont want her to become overweight

Scott Nimmo :

Ok here we go ... this is something I have been asked many times ...

Scott Nimmo :

Your starting point is to feed according to your cat food manufacturer's instructions which will be on the pack. This however may not be right for every case because different cats can have very different metabolic rates.

Customer:

yes we do this but she is always looking for more when she comes in

Scott Nimmo :

The trick is to weigh your cat each month and record the weight in a notebook, if your cat looks to be getting thin you can up the food by say 10% and of course if the cat is getting fatter then make a similar reduction. Only make these changes on a monthly basis.

Scott Nimmo :

I am afraid some cats will always ask for more, it is in their nature, I have six of them here so I know !

Scott Nimmo :

You can easily weigh a cat by picking it up and then stand on the bathroom scales and deduct your weight.

Scott Nimmo :

It is hard I know when they do ask for more but of course they often eat for pleasure not need and overweight cats a re subject to a range of diseases.

Customer:

Thankyou Scott. Bye

Scott Nimmo :

It's not easy I know , it is a shard to keep the cat slim as to keep a human slim !

Scott Nimmo :

One thing you can do is to feed a food with a lower plane of nutrition, the more expensive cat foods are high in calories but the cheaper ones often have a lower calorific value so you could give her more food of a cheaper brand. This sounds converse I know but the the cheaper foods are still nutritionally balanced so will do no harm.