Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my vet said my dog has liver and spleen cancer she on 20mg

my vet said my dog has liver and spleen cancer she on 20mg prednisolone a day a destolit
he said she properly about 4 weeks left she is still very active and eats very well he said there is no more he can do she 14 I have seen a product called milk thistle to help the liver can I use this with the other meds she is on I have put her on a low carb food garry
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about helping Sheba. I am sorry to hear that she has been diagnosed with cancer in multiple organs but very pleased to hear she seems to be feeling well.

I understand that she is currently taking prednisolone and destolit (ursodiol).
I think milk thistle, with its active ingredient silymarin, is a great idea for any dog with any sort of liver disease. There isn't any reason not to use it with the medications she is already taking, there won't be any side effects from using them together. I like a particular milk thistle supplement formulation called Denamarin.
Denamarin has both milk thistle (silymarin) and S-adenosylmethionine. These are both used to support the liver and its functions and help repair damage done by any sort of liver disease.
Here is a link that shows the product:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denamarin-Medium-Dogs-Tablet-Tablets/dp/B002A91WVA

Best of luck with Sheba, I hope that she continues to do well for you even with her diagnosis. Please let me know if you have any further questions.