Dr. Scott
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

Is it safe to give a in whelp Panomec for mange 1 week

Is it safe to give a bitch in whelp Panomec for mange 1 week before the pups are due ?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scott : Hello there,
Dr. Scott : What type of mange are you dealing with? Has the dog been given Panomec before? What breed is Ash?
Customer:

Im not sure what type of mange. She is just scratching and biting at her legs etc and has some bald patches on her chest . She hasnt had panomec before . shes a golden retriever

Customer:

Did you receive my answer to your questions ? I sent it it at 7 54 am today

Dr. Scott : Panomec is generally considered a safe medication. However, there are possible side effects when it is used at a dosage high enough to treat both types of mange mites. If one of the possible side effects does occur, the treatment medications needed could effect the pregnancy. I would not treat the dog until after the pups are born to avoid any possible reactions from the medication. The same precaution should be taken regarding vaccines and other medications in any pregnant animal.
Customer:

Could it have an effect on the pups ? ie stillborn ?

Dr. Scott : I've never seen any articles reporting stillborn pups as a result of Panomec use but it is not recommended for use in puppies under 6 weeks of age. I think the bigger concern would be the potential for an adverse reaction in the dog which would then require treatment that is known to cause problems with pregnancy.
Customer:

Thank you very much