Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog keeps scratching and has got lots of bald patches on

My dog keeps scratching and has got lots of bald patches on chest and legs???
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is there any redness, crusty or flaky on the skin?
3- Is he licking/gnawing on the bald areas?
4- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
About a month redness and scratches he nibbles it he weighs about 10kg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- To make sure I got this right, he is a German Shepard and is 10kg?
2- Do you have an anti histamine at home? If so what is the name and milligrams?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has also lost weight, he eats and drinks ok and goes for walks every day.no medication at home
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Georgie, one of the most common causes for itchy skin in dogs is an underlying allergy (food or environmental). The first place to start is doing a food trial during 6-8 weeks. This is what you can do:

1- Change his diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what he normally has had in the past. For example: If he seldom ate fish then put him on a food that has fish. The idea is to put him on a diet with a protein source that he seldom ate. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement.

2- Start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg every 12 hours. Or, chlorpheniramine 4-8mg every 12 hours. You can buy of these over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

3- Continue supplementing with fish oil.

For the bald/red area this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking/gnawing at area or he will make it worst. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter