Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

labrador with intermediate microscopic cancer

Customer Question

My brothers Black lab has got an intermediate microscopic cancer cells left in her vagina area after removal of the Lump. Because of the area concerned they cant blast the area with radiotherapy. The vets have basically said we can leave and do nothing or put her on some sort of chemo tablets. What we are worried about is financially its a lot of money to do and are the tablets going to work? Will the tablets make her ill? She is only 3 years Old and 25kg. Is there anywhere other than Rose tagged in Gloucester where that they can get the tablets? as they currently live in port talbot.and is there any other options open to them. All they want is what’s best for the dog. she is currently on:- Prednisolone 5mg x 15 (2 tablets daily for the first 5 days then 1 tablet every other day). tramadol 50mg x 15 ( 1 tablet 3 times daily)report

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Roxy's condition....with most Mast Cell tumors, if the margins are large enough, this entire tumor is removed but it appears that your vet is not sure. The biopsy report did not say that the cancer was outside teh margins but because of her young age and the fear that there may still be cancer cells present, it is wise to go through with a good chemotherapy regimen recommended by your Oncologist. They will determine the treatment based on the stage of the Mast Cell tumor. I would strongly recommend that you seek the attention of an Oncology Specialist and they can direct you to the correct course of action for your precious Roxy who is still so young. Radiation is the best treatment but if this is not possible, there are other alternatives. This will not be expensive and worth the time for her.

This LINK may explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Wyn, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!