Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My friends parakeet has a small flesh wound just above the

My friends parakeet has a small flesh wound just above the wing, on chest, caused by dog jumping up at cage. Bleeding has stopped, still using leg. apart from monitoring is there anymore i can do? Thank you
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

If the foot and wing seem to be functioning OK and this is just a small flesh wound then this is very encouraging. That being the cases your main concern would be to prevent infection and make sure the wound heals.

Scott Nimmo :

You can do this by gently washing the wound in warm salt water twice a day. After washing dab it dry with some clean soft kitchen paper and apply a very thin smear of the likes of Savlon cream.

Scott Nimmo :

That should do the trick but of course in the unlikely event of the wound getting infected you should get a vet involved hands on as prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be required.

Scott Nimmo :

Finally keep Joey in a very quiet place away from the dog for a week or so because he will no doubt be a bit stressed at present.

Customer:

That all sounds very encouraging thank you. I will follow your advice and if necessary get to a vets. I have moved Joey to a quiet room so he can recover hopefully fully.

Scott Nimmo :

He should be just fine ...