DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

Woke up and our 3 year old very active springer is acting strange

Woke up and our 3 year old very active springer is acting strange - lethargic and not reacting much. Just been for a small walk and his poo is OK but he really isn't bothered about anything. Should we call the emergency vet or wait to see how he develops?
Expert:  DR.J replied 2 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Could I ask Pleas has Wellie vomited ?

Customer:

No

DR.J :

Is he anywhere painful

Customer:

No

DR.J :

So besides acting differently he is fine .

DR.J :

Is he still eating ?

Customer:

No not eating just lying in his bed looking a bit blank

DR.J :

has he passed urine ?

Customer:

Yes

DR.J :

was it normal as far as you can tell?

Customer:

Yes it was normal pee

DR.J :

Is he a scavenger ?

Customer:

yes

DR.J :

Could he been exposed to a chemical of any sorts ?

DR.J :

something placed in the garden ?

Customer:

Not that I know of

DR.J :

when you look at his gums are they pink ?

DR.J :

Are they moist or dry ?

DR.J :

Is he salivating ?

DR.J :

Sorry for all the questions ' i'm trying better to get the whole picture

Customer:

Pink gums and wet

DR.J :

Since Wellie is showing general symptoms of Lethargy with nothing focused ' that makes it hard to tell . It could be that he ate something bad and even though he is passing normal feces now , he will later explode in diarrhea and perhaps vomiting . It could be that something is painful , could be a external or an internal organ like the pancreas which is starting to get inflamed and results in great pain which can become worse later . The list goes on and on .

DR.J :

It could even be poisoning (all that must be ruled out) .

Customer:

can we give him anything to make him sick ?

DR.J :

My advice would be to have him checked out . even a quick Physical exam by your vet would help him determine if internal source of pain exists . I would advice a basic blood test as well ' some might give us a hint in regards XXXXX XXXXX types of poisoning as well as a pancreatic inflammation.

DR.J :

You can not give him anything , simply because you do not know what it is , it could be an object or corrosive material which will cause sever damage if forced back up

Customer:

OK thank you. Would you advise immediate vet attention ?

DR.J :

We are dealing with a problematic situation - on the one hand it might be nothing but on the other it might be something which needs medical attention / you would not rest easy if you stay at home anyway so my advice is to seek medical attention for Wellie just to rule out anything dangerous

DR.J :

I hope this helped you make up you mind .

DR.J :

If you have any further questions please ask .

Customer:

OK thankyou we'll call the vet college.

DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.