Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

How can I help my impacted young beardie?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Lyn, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Mouse hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

Depending on the answers to the following questions, you may or may not have something serious on your hands.

1. How do you know Mouse is impacted?
If he's not passing stool and perhaps not eating and these are the only problem, then you may very well be correct that he's impacted. You can try feeding a small amount of prune baby food; then wait one hour and soak him as you have been doing. Also massage the abdomen from snout to vent for 20-30 minutes..which you may already also have been doing. This should be sufficient to stimulate a stool in most cases.
Impaction can be a result of ingesting loose substrate, foreign items, parasites or a combination of any of them so some husbandry issues may need to be addressed if this continues to be a problem.

2. Is he able to move his back legs? If not, then you may be looking at Metabolic Bone Disease (LINK) which is potentially more serious and I would suggest that you have him seen by a reptile vet, if possible
This condition can be secondary to several possible causes but double check your temperatures: Basking area should be 105*-110*F, warm side 90's and cool side 80's. Proper temperatures aid with digestion.

I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply to you. Deb