DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

Hi, my cat has the third eyelid issue on both of his eyes and

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has the third eyelid issue on both of his eyes and he has had this for over 1 month now.

He saw the vet about 3 weeks ago ans they said that his temperature was quite high and prescribed him some antibiotics (tablets)

I took him back a week later and he was still not much improved, so he was given a course of more pills and metacam oral suspension.

He was also taken in a couple of days later to have blood test for feline aids and leukemia. The results came back negative and I was just told to keep monitoring him.

He still feels warm and is loosing more fur than usual in clumps..... can I check what I need to do next?

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Basil

DR.J :

Have you done a generalized blood tests as well (besides the specific ones for feline HIV) ?

DR.J :

Is he still running a temperature ?

Customer:

Hi, yes he has had a general blood test and he is still running a temperature as his body feels slightly clammy

DR.J :

Is he showing sings for any other problems - not eating for ex

DR.J :

anything you can observe by looking at him?

Customer:

He is eating and drinking as per normal, he sneezes a couple of times per day and he is loosing fur in small clumps

Customer:

He is also quite snuffly as well...

DR.J :

Can you tell me if his White blood cell count was high on the blood test results

DR.J :

anything at all that was pointed abnormal on blood test results ?

Customer:

I am sorry I don't know, the local vet just said that everything seemed OK and he was just under the weather. My concern is that he is not really improving and if it is more serious I want to catch it sooner rather than later

DR.J :

Last question , what type of antibiotics did you use so far

Customer:

I forgot the name of the antibiotics in tablet form but he is on an oral suspension at the moment which is Metacam

Customer:

He has had the 3rd eyelid now for a number of weeks

DR.J :

Ok , taking into account all the information there are two options .

DR.J :

1. We are indeed dealing with a systemic infection - one that the antibiotic which were given were not good .

DR.J :

2. some other systemic disease which could more connected with the hormonal systems or perhaps even the kidneys or liver (at times blood results will not show any deviation until the situation is more sever , so a problem could be there but not detectable by these means )

DR.J :

3. He may still be FIV/FeLV or FIP positive - at times these ' inhouse' tests are not accurate and it's worth while sending a blood test to an externals lab which has better facilities and better tests (sorry third option)

DR.J :

the eyelids being more up could be because he is suffering from fever which is not giving up

DR.J :

I would treat it as a symptom only but not the major problem so worry not

Customer:

OK, so I need to get him back to the vets really....

DR.J :

this is what you need to do :

DR.J :

1. Have your vet take a blood sample to be sent out !! testing for FIV/FeLV FIP as well as general test.

DR.J :

2. ask your vet (if he knows how) to make a blood coultrue - it's a spacial exam in which a blood sample is placed in a special bottle which helps grow bacteria which can be found in the blood - this is later sent out for an external laboratory to be examined .

DR.J :

3. Have an ultrasound done of the kidney and liver just to make sure there is nothing wrong there

DR.J :

Just keep in mind - in case your vet does not find out the cause or seems unwilling with your request - your can always ask to be referred to a specialist (there are many specialist centers across the UK) for a better look

DR.J :

I hope all this has proved beneficial to you

DR.J :

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know

DR.J :

I wish you both all the best

DR.J :

Cheers

DR.J :

James

DR.J :

Please before you leave our conversation do not forget to rate

Customer:

Thats great, thank you very much