Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

i put a bird box on my shed last year and for the first time

i put a bird box on my shed last year and for the first time yesterday i noticed a couple of birds going in and out.if i go in my shed and make a bit of a noise will it frighten the birds away.i hope not
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I apologize for the delay in getting this reply back to you, I just found your question in the queue.
Thank you for this great question! Much depends on the species of the birds in the box. Some birds are extremely tolerant of human activity and environmental sounds, while others aren't. Unless you can afford to stay out of your shed for the next six or seven weeks, I suppose you'll just have to watch to find out if they stay or go. Birds like English sparrows, house finches (red polls), robins and other common birds are quite unflustered by proximity to people. Other birds like bluebirds, cardinals, orioles and blue jays are more shy and retiring.
If you can identify the birds, I can let you know how likely they are to be tolerant of your activities.
If you have more questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob