Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hello! Our Boston terrier puppy was apparently fit and healthy

Hello!
Our Boston terrier puppy was apparently fit and healthy ,passing normal motions until it was vaccinated at age 8 weeks and three days with Vanguard 7 (CPV-L) since which time she has been passing motions of an 'extruded toothpaste' like constituency with blood in them.On3rd April Our vet gave her an antibiotic injection and KAOGEL to be given at 1 ml twice daily. This appeared to be helping, but she has still blood drops at the end of her defaecation . I will return to the vet tomorrow, but would like to know if the blood has something to do with side effects of the drug. She is due to have the second vaccination of Vanguard (IDA2P) on the 16th.She is full of beans but we think she was sleeping a bit longer than usual today. Comments please! Many thanks, CP
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she or does she have diarrhea?
2- Has she been dewormed? If so, do you know the name of the dewormer?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has been regularly wormed with Drontal; the Breeder is a professional and well regarded

She has sort of 'extruded paste like' motions ,but goes out regularly for them ; the blood is passed at the very end

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Do you know if it was plain drontal or drontal plus?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.

The next stage however is half a tablet when she is 12 weeks old and the rest of it at 6 months

(My computer is at the very end of the line and sometimes goes off for a bit Sorry)

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Christine, the paste you are seeing is mucus, this is very common when there is inflammation in the large intestines. The blood is also a sign of inflammation. In a young puppy that has no other symptoms intestinal parasites is a very likely cause. I would recommend you repeat the deworming. But, use a different type of dewormer. You see, Drontal (praziquantel) mainly treats tapeworms and there are many other parasites that Drontal will not treat. I would recommend you speak to your veterinarian about using Panacur (fenbendazole), give it once a day for 3 days and repeat after 3 weeks. Panacur will treat most of the common parasites that affect dogs.
In response to your question, this is not related to the medications or vaccination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter