Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

How long after cleaning a cabin with neat Trigene can another

How long after cleaning a cabin with neat Trigene can another cat go in the pen
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I do want to note that we tend to dilute Trigene for use due to the potential irritative effects on the skin and lungs of any species exposed to it. Therefore, if you are using this neat, then it would be advisable to rinse the cabin out afterwards and make sure it is well ventilated before putting a new animal in.

Otherwise, and a better idea here, would be to use a 1:100 dilution of Trigene for general use & intermediate risk areas. If the area is a high risk or very soiled, a 1:50 dilution can be used instead. And if the cage is subjected to a quick change of animals that were not being kept in the cage for longer then a few minutes (like a vet's exam table or cat carrier would be), then we could use a 1:20 dilution strength.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX frames, the product has noted to kill fungus, spores, bacterial and mycobacteria at these dilutions within 10 minutes of application. For a few viruses ( ie Enterovirus,Adenovirus, Orthopox virus), it took 15 minutes to kill the viral load tested. Therefore, it would be ideal to use a 1:100 or 1:50 (if high risk) diluted Trigene spray and let it sit in the kennel for 15 minutes to the best effect. Once that has sat, it can be cleaned away and the new cat can be put into the pen.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If the cabin has been left empty for 2 weeks is it possible for a new cat to digest the trigene when licking it self

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Barbara,

If the Trigene has left residue on the cabin walls or floor, then we do have to be concerned that this could be transferred onto the cat's paws or coat. And if this occurs, then there is a risk that grooming would lead to ingestion of the Trigene. That said, after a fortnight of being left on the cabin substrate, it may be that the residual material is insignificant. But as the product is not advisable to use neat, there have been no studies looking into the long term potential for residue and its potential effects on animals. Therefore, it would be better to rinse off any surfaces that have been cleaned with undiluted trigene.

Finally, just in case you are seeing any kitties with skin sores, oral ulcers, or perhaps GI signs (ie appetite decline, vomiting), then we'd want to consider rinsing their cabins and having a vet treat these symptoms for any affected cats.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.