Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have just taken in a stray cat I Have had him neutered and

I have just taken in a stray cat I Have had him neutered and micro chipped He is about two yrs old I also have three other cats. The new cat Fluff suffers from drinking far too much He could drink about 3 pints of water if I let him (I allow him approx 1 pt) Fluff has been checked out at two vets but both have given him a clean bill of health. I keep him in as I want him to get 'used to' my other cats but it's not that he just does this indoors but also out of doors also. This is how I first noticed him in my garden as he was constantly drinking from bird baths for days I don't know how I should handle this as you imagine the cat litter trays I have to deal with ! Help please !
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got this right, so basically he is drinking excessive amount of water and as a result urinating more, correct?
2- What types of test did your vet do?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct to your question 1. The vets did every possible test they could regarding Fluff's problem.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Did they do xrays of the chest and abdomen?
2- Did they do blood work and urinalysis? Do you have copies of the results?
3- Did they do an abdominal ultrasound?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maybe I was wrong regardiing every test! He did not have any X rays taken and I haven't got any of the results at home. Maybe then I should think about X rays although Fluff needs to be trapped again he won't ley me touch him even tho he isn't feral.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Susan, there are many conditions that would cause a cat to drink excessive amount of water. The first place to start is doing general blood work and urinalysis to rule out things like infections, kidney or liver disease, etc. If these test are normal then the next step is doing some type of imaging like xrays or abdominal ultrasound. I would prefer an abdominal ultrasound as it can give more details than plain xrays, if ultrasound is normal next step is a chest xray.
If all test are normal at this point then your vet can do what is called a water deprivation test. This is to check for a rare hormonal disorder called Diabetes Inspidus (different then diabetes mellitus which is an increase in blood glucose) where the patient lacks the hormone to concentrate the urine, as a result the patient will urinate excessively and drink a lot. Prior to doing the water deprivation test your vet should do a urine culture & sensitivity to make certain there is no occult urinary tract infection prior to depriving the patient of water. I believe your vet will find the exact underlying cause if they follow the above approach.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.