Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Would cephacare cause a dog to have dieirea and a fit

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Jake and Cephacare (generic name cephalexin).

This antibiotic can cause gastrointestinal upset including vomiting, lack of an appetite and diarrhea. Those are the most common side effects seen.
It can also cause kidney damage, especially if given at high doses for a long period of time. It can lead to hypersensitivity reactions such as a skin rash, fever, enlarged lymph nodes, or even an anaphylactic reaction.
Rarely with high doses for long periods of time we can see neurotoxicity which would usually manifest as peripheral nerve disorders rather then seizures, though a seizure is possible, and decreased blood levels of platelets and white blood cells as well as hepatitis.

So the short answer is possible that his symptoms were caused by the drug, and certainly diarrhea would be likely related to its use, but his seizure, though possibly related, is less likely to be caused by the drug. I would be more inclined to believe that there may be something else going on, such as organ failure in an older dog, that caused his seizure.
If you switch antibiotics and he has no more seizures then a case could be made for the drug being the cause, and then I would recommend not using that drug with him again.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.