Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in Small Animal Practice
21779527

IS it safe for my 13 year old XXXXX XXXXX to have puppies

IS it safe for my 13 year old XXXXX XXXXX to have puppies . She has been mating with another Jack? I am so worried that it harms her. She is in good health and still looks to be walked miles. HELP
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years.

If your girl is healthy she may be able to carry and deliver a litter of puppies. However, she this would be considered a high risk pregnancy and I would recommend working with a veterinarian throughout the process. She is going to be at higher risk of developing complications during the pregnancy, higher risk of having uterine inertia and needing a C-section.

She needs to have bloodwork to check her calcium levels, her blood sugar level, and to check for anemia at the begin of the pregnancy, in the middle, and then again at the end. Diabetes, anemia, and low calcium levels are all concerns in a older girl. You also need to be prepared to have a C-section done if she is not able to deliver puppies on her own. The inability to deliver is the most common problem that older bitches have.

I hope that answers your question, but if you have additional questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Dr. Stacy