Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my german shepherd dog has had a few droplets of blood coming

my german shepherd dog has had a few droplets of blood coming from his penis. his urine is clear and he is in very good health otherwise. this has happened in the past. he is five years old and i've seen it once before about a year ago, should i be concerned
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he neutered?
2- Is he urinating more frequently?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no he's not neutered, not urinating more freqeuntly,no other symptoms and no pre existing medical problems.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is the blood dripping while he is at rest or when urinating?
2- Have you examined the penis for any cuts, swellings, etc.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i noticed it when he was stationary, sat on the kitchen floor but he had been out for a wee about five minutes before that. there are no signs of cuts. he occasionaly seems to have an errection in his dreams and licks for a long time afterwards this happened last night i dont know if there is any connection to that incident

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Susan, an erection should not cause a bloody disharge. When we see blood there are several possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Urethritis (inflammation of the urethra), bladder stones, kidney/prostate disease and less likely an infection or part of a systemic disease (coagulopathies). Based on what you are describing it is not an emergency but I would definitely have him examined by family veterinarian, xrays and urinalysis as initial screening test. If at any point you notice that he is not able to urinate that would be an emergency, it means he has a stone blocking the outflow of urine in the urethra and should be seen by a vet immediately to pass a urinary catheter. Otherwise, follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter