Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

constipated dog

constipated dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe the symptoms that Monti is showing?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- How much does Monti weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is crouching in the pop position but no joy he is a little lack luster he is a standard dachshund 25lb ish

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Floyd, the key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.
2- Add 1-2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to his food.
3- As a stool softener you can give 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1/2 to 1 tablespoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.
5- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter