Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog seems to have hayfever symptoms. She has a bit of a

My dog seems to have hayfever symptoms. She has a bit of a snotty nose and sounds a little bit snorty. Sometimes more at night. She seems well and eating, and she is also moulting her thick coat. We have given her 1 loratadine 10mg tablet. (Our vet did say these were ok to give her when she had a bee sting 2 years ago) These are what I take for hayfever but did not know if the dog can take them and how often.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as Daisy doesn't have snotty yellow/green discharge (which would be a sign of bacterial infection where antibiotics would be indicated) and we are not seeing discharge from one nostril alone (which can arise when foreign material obstructions, fungal infections, or even masses invade the nasal passages), then you can consider trying her on Loratidine to rule out allergies for her. I would note that if you do so for 1-2 weeks but don't see any changes or see any progression of her signs, then allergies will be less likely and we'd want to follow up with her vet.

Now in regards XXXXX XXXXX medication, Loratidine is a drug that we do use in allergy management in dogs and is one that is quite well tolerated. It can cause sedation or drowsiness just as it can in people. And just to note, it is a drug that we do avoid in patients that have any history of seizures (since it can make those dogs more prone to fits). Otherwise, in regards XXXXX XXXXX 10 milligrams would be an acceptable middle range dose for her and this is a drug that we'd only give once daily. So, you would be fine to use this as long as the discharge is clear (so bacteria aren't suspect) and from both nostrils.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for answer. we have had a good look at her and her nose is wet and both nostril run clear. She just has like dried up snot around the nostrils at the sides which is a slight browny green colour from the night before, which I will bathe with warm water. Her nostrils inside look normal and pink since giving her the tablet yesterday, as they were very red.She seems bright in herself.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Sarah. Smile

I am glad that you are not seeing one-sided or overly pus-like discharge. In this situation, it is fine to trial the Loratidine to see if you can settle her signs (and if she is responding then allergies are quite suspect for wee Daisy .

All the best,

Dr. B.