Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi, my Springer Spaniel was hit by a car two weeks ago. he

Hi, my Springer Spaniel was hit by a car two weeks ago. he has had xray and was found to have no broken bones, but has bad bruising, The bruising had improved, but he is still in pain in his back leg on one side, especially when he moves from being still for a while. The pain looks quite bad as he screams. He is on pain medication, but my vet wants to refer him for an MRI to get to the bottom of his pain, This is going to be very expensive as the dog is 10 years old and I dont have insurance. Would it be safe to wait and see and just treat his symptoms and rest him? or does he really need further investigation. The vet thinks it may be nerve pain.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Lemmy's pain and the benefits of an MRI.

Although an MRI would be great, and would give you a much better idea of his primary problem, the important question is what would you do with that information? If the MRI itself is stretching your budget would you be able to afford surgery to address his problem if it were found? If the answer to that question is no, then it may not be worth it to have an MRI.

I don't know what medication he is on now for pain, but perhaps we can make him more comfortable with a combination of medications. Veterinary drugs we can use together include a nonsteroidal like Metacam, Deramaxx, Previcox or Rimadyl. If those aren't enough we can add another drug in the opiod family called Tramadol and/or another drug called Gabapentin. These drugs together may get him more comfortable and allow him to heal.

You do want to make sure he has padded bedding to lie on, is away from drafts and is very well rested. The more he does the more time it may take for him to heal.

You may also want to discuss alternative therapies like acupuncture or cold laser therapy with your veterinarian as additional ways of dealing with pain and inflammation.
Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. You have made me more confident with my decision to allow him to heal naturally.