Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

In the UK, it is recommended that dogs be "wormed" every three

In the UK, it is recommended that dogs be "wormed" every three months. However, I would like to have my dog's poo tested first, as I do not wish to give them unnecessary medication. Is this possible in the UK? (They do it in the US.) Is it relatively cheap? Will my local vet be able to facilitate this for me?
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 years ago.

I am a UK Vet and based in the UK.

Faecal testing is performed routinely in the UK and most veterinary practices should be equipped and skilled in performing this test in-house. Otherwise the sample would need to be sent to an external lab.

In-house faecal testing where I work is £20 with external analysis being about £30.

It is best to perform this test on a pooled sample so three separate faecal samples are collected and analysed together to ensure nothing is missed.

Hope this helps

Dan Makin