Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog has mated successfully before and tied with my

Customer Question

my dog has mated successfully before and tied with my bitch but now does not seem to be able to tie why is this?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. We often address questions about male infertility but not the actual act.

There are quite a few etiologies for his inability to tie. The mundane ones are sexual overuse, stress (performance anxiety!), and other psychological situations which might be related to a new location, people, or pets. Medical disorders abound, however, and include pain in the genital tract due to prostatitis, orchitis (testicular inflammation), or balanoposthitis (infection of the penile sheath); hypothyroidism (unlikely at 3 years of age but easy to test for), drug therapy, infection and fever, and more serious internal metabolic disorders uncommonly found in a 3 year old such as uremia and hepatic dysfunction.

I regret that I can't be more specific for you. I would need to perform a thorough physical exam on Tommy paying particular attention to his genital tract. If his behavior persists in spite of a two day rest from his endeavors, it would be prudent to have his vet take a look at him.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.