Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog is 15 as is peeing almost solid blood with significant

My dog is 15 as is peeing almost solid blood with significant clots. He has been under the Vet for two weeks, on tablets, two different types, and is worsening. He is fine otherwise apart from being old. The Vet has suggested X ray or ultrasound scan but says they wouldn't operate on a dog of this age if it was found he had a tumor.
I suspect I'm being told he is at the end of his life but they just don't want to say it. I don't want to spend a thousand pounds to be told this, much as I love him. Have you any advice please?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, Richard. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear about your poor lad.

Can you tell me what kinds of tablets he has been on?

Were these just antibiotics or pain relief? If so, do you remember which kind?

Have the had a urine sample checked at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sybulox and then Ceporex. My vet is sending a blood/urine sample away I believe
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Richard,

Now those are both antibiotics; which are reasonable as treatment thus far since urinary tract infection is the most common reason for blood in the urine of our pets. That said, with urine containing so much frank blood and clots that is then not responding to antibiotics, we do have to be worried about other causes for these signs. This means we'd have to consider bladder stones and at his age, more sinister issues like cancer.

Now I do appreciate that the expense of advanced diagnostics may not be practical when they are not going to change your treatment options (even if they are the only way for us to know for sure what we are facing with your lad). That said, I am glad to see that your vet has sent a urine sample to the lab. The reason is because this can be checked under the microscope for crystals (the precursor to stones and a hint of them if present) and the urine sample can be stained to look for cancerous cells (you may need to double check that your vet has asked the lab to check cytology on this sample).

Depending on the findings of this urine test, you may actually get the answer to what is causing your lad's signs without further testing. And this will give you an idea of his long term prognosis. If crystals are found (thus raising suspicions of bladder stones here-- and are hopefully ones that can be dissolved with diet change), then treatment may be aimed at reducing their formation and dissolving the stones with diet. And just to note, even if stones that absolutely require surgery to remove are found but his bloods are normal, then you could still consider surgery to remove them. It may not be something your vet wants to undertake but as long as he is in good health (which is more important then age) then he may still be a candidate for a specialist surgeon to help.

Now if the slide shows sinister cells suggesting a bladder cancer are present (or if that is the general suspicion based on the vet's palpation), then even without a surgical option I would advise a word with your vet about trying your boy on Piroxicam (More Info). This is an anti-inflammatory medication that actually has been found to be quite useful in manaing bladder cancer in dogs. And I would say that even if this is suspected diagnosis without ultrasound or xray to see the growth, this could still be considered for him (and as it will also reduce general inflammation and soreness, so it could just help with any arthritis or bladder soreness he also have here).

Overall, you boy's signs are severe and do raise worries about the above causes. It does depend which is present to really say if he is in his final stages of life or not. Still even with that urine sample alone, you may be able to determine which of the above is bothering him. And once you do know, you will be in a position to determining what you can do to help him or if letting him go is the most humane option. So, do see what the urine says and do consider a work with his vet about Piroxicam to see if you can address these signs and keep him comfortable for as long as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )