Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a donkey gelding, called Jacob, who will be 20 this

I have a donkey gelding, called Jacob, who will be 20 this year and has been with me for 18 of those years. He shares his stable and paddock with two other donkeys and has done so for the past 18 years. They have access to shelter but otherwise are free to roam their paddock of about three quarters of an acre. In winter they are fed good quality hay once a day but have barley straw ad lib, but no hard feed.
They all three enjoy good health, but every year at about this time JACOB develops skin abrasions/sores on his withers and rump especially and he rubs them and makes them bleed, with consequent hair loss This will continue throughout the summer but goes away in autumn as his winter coat starts to grow. The only suggestion from my vet was to treat all three of them for lice infestation. This I have done, both last year and this year, but to no avail. The other two are never affected.
The onset of Jacob's problem seems to coincide with the onset of spring grass growth and he is a good doer anyway.
Could it be an allergic reaction to something (no flies about much yet ) or how does "Protein Poisoning" manifest itself ?
Any light you can throw on this annual problem would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. This appears to be an allergic reaction ot something Jacob is coming into contact at this period of time. There are 2 things I would recommend for this. One is to give Benadryl at 0.5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy. Then apply a cortisone cream or spray to this area to decrease the inflammation. If this is allergies, which from what you describe, I believe it is, this will help Jacob past this. If the Benadryl is not effective, injectable steroids can be given also that is very effective.

If there is still problems, I would recommend that you run blood work on Jacob including a thyroid panel since this could also cause these symptoms.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thank you Dr Loretta for the information you have given regarding Jacob's skin problem and an allergic reaction to something at this time of year could well be feasible.

If that is the case and I am to pursue your treatment plan , then could you please tell me just what Benadryl is and what it does, in what form it comes and at what kind of "pharmacy" in the UK I would be able to procure it over the counter.

Secondly, could you please nominate a specific steroidal cream or spray ?

Thirdly, are there any risks to Jacob in pursuing this course of treatment ?

I await your further responses please.

HI Bryan....Benadryl (human medication) is available over the counter at the chemist...the other name is XXXXX XXXXX is very safe even if Jacob does not have this. The dose is based on an estimate of his weight (0.5 mg) given every 12 hrs. I really think this will help.
Any steroid creme or spray such as Cortaid from the chemist will help.

Good luck, Brian...let me know if this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Dr Loretta and thank you for your last email.

The only matter I am not fully clear about concerns the administration of the Benadryl. Does it come in liquid form or what ?

If I estimate Jacob's weight to be around 170 kgs, which equates to around 374 lbs, then at the recommended dose of 0.5 mg per pound that would mean around 187mgs of Benadryl per dose - is that correct ?

Assuming it is, then how will the Benadryl product be calibrated to enable me to give the correct dose each time ?

Would you please clarify this for me and my apologies if I am being somewhat dim about this !

No problem, Bryan...I know this can be confusing...

You are correct that you would give around 180 mg Benadryl every 12 hrs. they will come in 50 mg tablets so this works out to 3 1/2 tablets every 12 hrs...crush them and give in food or dissolve them in warm water and dose as you would a wormer....

Good luck, Bryan...let me know how Jacob is doing...thanks!