Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my 13 year old cat has lost weight, is getting patches in her

Customer Question

my 13 year old cat has lost weight, is getting patches in her fur, has developed lots of lumps on her back (which she won't let us examine but don't seem to hurt her) and smells awful. Her very distinctive grey tabby markings are turning ginger in places. However, she seems to be fine otherwise. She spends a lot of time outdoors, eats well and does not have toilet problems. Should I be worried?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Tell me is her appetite better than normal would you say? Does she bother you for food?

Customer:

Yes, her appetite is better than normal. I usually feed her twice a day, morning and evening, with dry food and water. The evening food is normally put down at about 5pm but she is bothering me for it earlier. However, once she has been fed she does not bother us again until the morning feed.

Scott Nimmo :

I do wonder if she may not have thyroid problems. These cats are pretty well always older than twelve and have weight loss but also a very good appetite ...

Customer:

Will I need to take her to the vets for further investigation/confirmation of that? Is it life-threatening?

Scott Nimmo :

With thyroid problems they also have a very unkempt coat and they may well have fur matts which look like lumps

Scott Nimmo :

This is not a life threatening disease but the cats will remain much as they are. Unfortunately there is no scope for home treatments so you really have to get a vet involved I am afraid ...

Customer:

Is being smelly (she smells like a kipper sometimes, its horrid) part of the thyroid problem?

Scott Nimmo :

I wish I could suggest more but having a vet check her over is the way to go ...

Hello again Helen,

Please continue our session this way ...
Hello again Helen,

Bad smells are not part of the thyroid disease ususal symptoms but if here coat is untidy and she is not grooming then this could be part of it ...

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Helen,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of weeks to check on Tonta's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you again at any future point then you can contact me directly via this link : http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-scottvet/
{ Please bookmark it }